Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Dx9 Vs Dx11 Comparison

Ishki88

Question

Doing my own personal test thought I'd share while I'm at it.   I forgot to post FPS but I never drop below 40.

I honestly can't tell the difference.  So I'm going to dust off my only working Nvidia card and enable Physics.

Test Rig 1

Rig

Windows 8.1

AMD Phenom BE 3.2ghz

8GB DDR2

MSI R6770 MD 1GB5 (ATI)

PG9mUV5.jpg

UuH89IK.jpg

Wdblh1x.jpg

Flr7TfL.jpg

Test Rig 2

Rig

Windows 8.1

AMD Phenom BE 3.2ghz

8GB DDR2

Nvidia 8800 GT (9800 GT) 512MB

SOON

Edited by Ishki88

25 answers to this question

Not enough water in this game to care.

Already did a particle test, but I'm not doing any videos.  Particles with my ATI card are already sub-par to none since this game is utilizing Nnvida technology.  Sadly the only Nvidia card I have is a DX9 but at least it has Physx.  

This is a very quick benchmark/comparison.  So don't even bother with suggestions :/  I know what to do but I'm only going to post pictures.  Sorry :>

If you want to do any test that I'm not displaying please add to the topic :3

Edit: ATI/DX9/DX11:  What I will do is type out my experience with FPS/AF.  So far DX9 takes a little longer to load textures but it's not really noticeable with all the star wars going on.  DX9 has this weird fog but it's barely noticeable.

Yes AA is off.

Edited by Ishki88

I honestly don't see The Evolution Engine using much of the DX11 fancy features. I see no tesselation or major HBAO. So graphically, I would expect to see similar pictures.

However, your benchmarking process is flawed. Your PC is very CPU bound so you won't see much of a difference. Just in the menus for me (Intel Core i5-U and nVidia 640m) I see around 140fps in DX11 versus 80fps in DX9. This is just the star map with Ash sitting with the Jat Kittag. DX11 enables a rather significant performance improvement.

In-game I see a difference in the starting area at 60fps versus 90fps.

Edited by PlebbyMilliner

I honestly don't see The Evolution Engine using much of the DX11 fancy features. I see no tesselation or major HBAO. So graphically, I would expect to see similar pictures.

However, your benchmarking process is flawed. Your PC is very CPU bound so you won't see much of a difference. Just in the menus for me (Intel Core i5-U and nVidia 640m) I see around 140fps in DX11 versus 80fps in DX9. This is just the star map with Ash sitting with the Jat Kittag. DX11 enables a rather significant performance improvement.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4760&game=Warframe

How is my computer CPU bound......

Since people can't read.  This is my small personal comparison test.  This is more of a feel/eye test.  If you want to go full blown nerdism then you can run your own extensive test and add on or make another thread.

This is a quick benchmark.  And yes my rig can run everything max even in void/od...I'll answer questions but I'm not taking request...calm down...

Edited by Ishki88

DX11 has tessellation, which if the developers used, you would see a noticeable difference in things that are circular or cylindrical, as well as rocks.

Up close a DX9 rock will look polygon-ish and circular and cylindrical objects face on will have a hexagonal appearance to the edges, with DX11 if they use tessalation, will not and appear rounded and smooth, same for the rocks.  Stuff with bumpy or rough surfaces will be a flat 2d optical illusion painted on the texture with DX9, with DX11 the surface will appear 3d bumpy or rough as well...not sure if that's tessellation or something else.

Other than that, you wont notice much of a difference.  TBH in some games, my system will run better at DX11 than DX9 even with the fancy stuffs, though that might be DX11's ability to handle other stuff better (not sure on that might be the developers of those games optimized it better)

So if you want to see the difference, do a screen shot of what I mentioned and compare.  If they didn't make use of tessellation you would be hard pressed to notice a real difference.

It would be easy to make the screen shot comparisons I suggested, and I would be curious to see them tbh.  go..do it...now...

Edited by Cyberdown

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4760&game=Warframe

How is my computer CPU bound......

Since people can't read.  This is my small personal comparison test.  This is more of a feel/eye test.  If you want to go full blown nerdism then you can run your own extensive test and add on or make another thread.

This is a quick benchmark.  And yes my rig can run everything max even in void/od...I'll answer questions but I'm not taking request...calm down...

I am calm.  Visually, in this engine, there is no difference between DX11 and DX9 (save for DoF and soft shadows). You're comparing screen shots that look identical. The only difference is speed/performance here.

As for your PC being CPU bound, your video card is waiting for your CPU to catch up, assuming you're actually measuring the frames per second and not just "feeling" it. That's why you're not seeing a speed difference assuming your statement is true.

DX11 has tessellation, which if the developers used, you would see a noticeable difference in things that are circular or cylindrical, as well as rocks.

Up close a DX9 rock will look polygon-ish and circular and cylindrical objects face on will have a hexagonal appearance to the edges, with DX11 if they use tessalation, will not and appear rounded and smooth, same for the rocks.  Stuff with bumpy or rough surfaces will be a flat 2d optical illusion painted on the texture with DX9, with DX11 the surface will appear 3d bumpy or rough as well...not sure if that's tessellation or something else.

Other than that, you wont notice much of a difference.  TBH in some games, my system will run better at DX11 than DX9 even with the fancy stuffs, though that might be DX11's ability to handle other stuff better (not sure on that might be the developers of those games optimized it better)

So if you want to see the difference, do a screen shot of what I mentioned and compare.  If they didn't make use of tessellation you would be hard pressed to notice a real difference.

It would be easy to make the screen shot comparisons I suggested, and I would be curious to see them tbh.  go..do it...now...

I'll do that actually....hopefully I'll do it correctly....right now the Nvidia card is in my rig..making sure my drivers are working properly....

edit:  Since I can't at this very moment..the screenshots I posted...has alot of shapes that should justify your statement...and I still don't see a different in regards to Tess..  But yeah I'll try to take some up close and personal pictures.

Also I don't see why nobody in this thread that's appearing to be very technical not have at least their own test.  It's like you guys were waiting for someone to do it all for you lol.........well you picked the wrong player because I'm lazy :P  But I'll answer to his request because it pleases me....

pleases me...

Edited by Ishki88

I want to continue my testing but I can't enable Physx and it's &!$$ing me off.

I updated all my drivers even did a separate installation of Physx.  I also changed the settings to my videocard instead of automatic.  I'm going to try and remove WF from Stream.  >:(

I have to reinstall the whole game (Only because I'm removing it from Steam)

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah..um.....I'll be back >_>

Edited by Ishki88

Main things you will see different in DX9 mode vs DX11

Tessellation

it is there, you just have to know where to look (appears to be on mostly organics)

11808ed4acbae505d25289fa933dfd7d.gif

in most games you wont notice it tbh, its very subtle if you dont know what youre lookin for,
and of course the lighting and textures as has been stated.

btw OP try running a hybrid physx setup so you can do DX11 and have physx (assuming you have 2 pcie slots and enough PSU power)

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

Edited by Ecotox

You won't see a difference because your running GPU's that are +5 years old. Your hardware leaves a lot to be desired and is missing a lot of features added to DX11.2 etc because your hardware doesn't have the capability. Looks a lot better on mine, hell a screenshot doesn't do it justice.

You won't see a difference because your running GPU's that are +5 years old. Your hardware leaves a lot to be desired and is missing a lot of features added to DX11.2 etc because your hardware doesn't have the capability. Looks a lot better on mine, hell a screenshot doesn't do it justice.

Tessellation didnt come with 11.2 and i doubt they have integrated the majority of 11.2 features into warframe considering the limited amount of features from plain DX11 they currently use. I run a 6970 and can see the difference, warframe isnt that advanced graphically lol 

from what i can tell they (probably) use the original DX11 taking advantage of the multi threaded optimizations aswell as some tessellation, shaders, and the nifty feature levels that allow DX11 runtime to work on DX9 hardware. Mostly, alot of the visual things introduced with DX11 versions will be supported on all DX11 hardware, its the backend and little things that help Devs that arent if its not Radeon 7k or higher.

edit: on a side note apparently hybrid physx wont work with warframe :c

Edited by Ecotox